Alexander’s Medicinal Distillery (Historic Site #15)
On this site in 1861-65, the William R. Alexander Distillery met a wartime need in Texas when Governor Lubbock closed all Texas distilleries to save grain. Army calls for medicinal liquor (for opiate and stimulant purposes) soon caused him to order a few, including Alexander’s, re-opened. In drastic medical shortages, Texans throughout the Civil War provided help as they could. Bandages, sewing silk, lint, Polkweed, peach bark, barilla, and other home medical aids went to various military units. (RTHL)
THIS IS A STOP ON THE SALADO HISTORIC LANDMARKS TOUR – PLEASE RESPECT THE PROPERTY OF ANY PRIVATE BUSINESS OR RESIDENTS AT THIS LANDMARK.
Center Circle, Salado, TX 76571