Anderson House (Historic Site #20)
The Anderson House was built in 1860 on eight acres, of which four acres still remain with the house. The home is in the Greek Revival style even though some of the design details and proportions are not typically those of the Greek Revival style as seen in Texas. The single, carved doors of the Anderson House are generally associated with Victorian architecture. Furthermore, variations in the siding used on that house, as well as differences between windows on the first and second floors (six-over-six lights downstairs, four-over-four upstairs), suggest that the house was built in several stages. The Anderson House exhibits a single-story ell with a rear porch enclosed in the mid-20th century and a one-room store built of native limestone which fronts on Main Street just north of the main house. James Anderson built the house for his wife, Elizabeth, and their fourteen children. The first sale of the house was in 1864 for the sum of $2,000 Confederate notes. Adjacent to the house is a native limestone building also built in 1860. It has had many uses in the past including a one-day saloon. (RTHL & NRHP)
THIS IS A STOP ON THE SALADO HISTORIC LANDMARKS TOUR – PLEASE RESPECT THE PROPERTY OF ANY PRIVATE BUSINESS OR RESIDENTS AT THIS LANDMARK.
35 N. Main Street, Salado, TX 76571