Salado Saloon (Historic Site #21)
In 1860, the historic rock building was built as part of the James B. Anderson home next door. It was built of hand-cut limestone. The fireplace, ceiling rafters, and front doors are original. In 1985, the side room was constructed from old lumber. It was first used by Anderson as his office when he was Justice of the Peace. Over the years the building has been used as a variety of stores, law offices, bootmaker, stagecoach stop, livery stable, and a saloon. In 1882, the building was leased for the “Salado Saloon.” When the ladies of the community found out they feared the moral, cultural, and religious foundations of Salado would be eroded. The men did not see a saloon that way and did nothing. The ladies developed a strategy and two at a time sat in front of the saloon when it opened knitting all day. This resulted in no one entering the saloon. The owner was so angry he picked up and moved to Holland where he opened the “Salado Saloon” out of spite for what the ladies of Salado did to him. (RTHL includes the Anderson House next door)
THIS IS A STOP ON THE SALADO HISTORIC LANDMARKS TOUR – PLEASE RESPECT THE PROPERTY OF ANY PRIVATE BUSINESS OR RESIDENTS AT THIS LANDMARK.
33 N. Main Street, Salado, TX 76571