West Salado Cemetery (Historic Site #39)
West Salado Cemetery was designated a Texas State Historic Cemetery in 1990. The West Salado Cemetery was designated a Texas State Historic Cemetery in 1990. The cemetery is located in an area populated by the Blacks residents of Salado following the Civil War. The cemetery dates to the 1870s. The earliest documented grave is that of Josie Fulbright, who died in 1877, although according to local oral history there may be earlier unmarked burials. E.S.C. Robertson’s widow deeded the land for church, school, and graveyard purposes. While the community’s school and two churches are no longer in existence, the cemetery remains an important link with the area’s early black history. (RTHL)
THIS IS A STOP ON THE SALADO HISTORIC LANDMARKS TOUR – PLEASE RESPECT THE PROPERTY OF ANY PRIVATE BUSINESS OR RESIDENTS AT THIS LANDMARK.
West Village Road, Salado, TX 76571