Vickrey-Berry Carriage Barn (Site #36)
Vickrey-Berry Carriage Barn and house were built about 1870 by John W. Vickrey. Eighteen years later William M. Berry purchased the two story rock house and barn. Between the house and barn were a windmill and raised water tank. In later years, the barn was referred to as a carriage house for good reason, as it was upscale compared to the average outbuilding of its day and had large double doors to accommodate Mr. Berry’s hearse. The carriage house was not used as a funeral home as rumor had it, however Mr. Berry sold caskets from the second story of in his mercantile store across Salado Creek. (SHSL)
THIS IS A STOP ON THE SALADO NATIONAL LANDMARKS TOUR – PLEASE RESPECT THE PROPERTY OF ANY PRIVATE BUSINESS OR RESIDENTS AT THIS LANDMARK.
642 N. Main Street, Salado, TX 76571