McKie House – Twelve Oaks (Historic Site #14)
Dr. Benjamin B. McKie and wife Eva built this Greek Revival residence of limestone blocks quarried from a site near the creek. “Whiskey Jack” Hendrickson constructed the house. The original plan had fifteen rooms, six fireplaces and walls twenty-two inches thick. It was built when he returned from the Civil War so his son and daughter could attend Salado College. Dr. McKie practiced medicine until his death in 1883. The name “Twelve Oaks” comes from the many large oak trees surrounding the house. The house has been completely restored. (RTHL, NRHP)
THIS IS A STOP ON THE SALADO LANDMARKS TOUR – PLEASE RESPECT THE PROPERTY OF ANY PRIVATE BUSINESS OR RESIDENTS AT THIS LANDMARK.
Center Circle, Salado, TX 76571