Salado Main Street Bridges (Historic Site #16)
Crossing the Salado Creek has always been a challenge for early-day residents of Salado and a daily challenge for students attending Salado College. The crossing was done by stepping across the creek on strategically placed rocks. Then came logs chained to those rocks to keep the feet dry when crossing, however, heavy rains washed the logs away. In 1868, enough money was raised for a wire cable suspension footbridge that served the people for thirty years. Then, in 1892 the county built an iron wagon-foot bridge. After a flood destroyed it, a duplicate bridge was built which was also destroyed. Finally, in 1922 the current concrete bridge was completed with reinforced steel set into the rock bed. Creek flooding has been over the bridge many times since then. (RTHL)
THIS IS A STOP ON THE SALADO HISTORIC LANDMARKS TOUR – PLEASE RESPECT THE PROPERTY OF ANY PRIVATE BUSINESS OR RESIDENTS AT THIS LANDMARK.
Main Street, Salado, TX 76571