Old Red School (Historic Site #32)
In 1919, the stockholders of the old college property voted unanimously to donate the grounds and buildings for use by Salado Public Schools. The aging facility served the public school system until 1924, when a third fire destroyed the building, as discussed earlier. The community was in desperate need of a modern schoolhouse. Alice Joy Hamblen, the widow of William K. Hamblen, came to the rescue with a generous donation. The donation included the old Hamblen family home, demolished to make room for the new brick facility that was constructed in 1924. After many years of use as a school, in 1979 it ceased to be used as a public school. The community restored the building and used it as Salado’s Civic Center. The building houses the offices of the school district. The building is located at Main Street and Van Bibber Lane. (SHSL)
THIS IS A STOP ON THE SALADO NATIONAL LANDMARKS TOUR – PLEASE RESPECT THE PROPERTY OF ANY PRIVATE BUSINESS OR RESIDENTS AT THIS LANDMARK.
601 N. Main Street, Salado, TX 76571