Dodd’s Creek Truss Bridge (Historic Site #28)
One, two, three goats and a bridge
With a troll whose gullible, just a smidge
So the classic story goes
And how it ends every literate child knows!
Stand-off here or camaraderie?
Well, you’ll just have to come down and see!
On the South approach of Salado’s historic Dodd’s Creek Pedestrian Bridge (which has much to commend it in its own right) you will find this ‘life size,’ cast bronze sculpture grouping by local artist Troy Kelley. Kelley’s most famous local work is that of Sirena, down in the spring, but this detailed ‘stand off’ is well worth a visit all its own.
Finished in 2000 and placed in 2001. You decide who’s the GRUFF here: Billy or the Troll!
Dodd’s Creek Lenticular Truss Bridge is one of many patented truss designs developed in the mid- to late-19th century, this 87-foot lenticular truss bridge features a curved top and bottom chord which forms a lens shape. This bridge originally was located across Cowhouse Creek and later was moved to Dodd’s Creek. In 1990, the Texas Historical Commission and the Texas Department of Transportation recognized the bridge as a historically significant engineering structure. The Dodd’s Creek bridge was moved to this site (Campbell Branch) in 1997 to improve the flow of traffic, protect pedestrians and enhance the Salado Historic District. (RTHL)
One of many patented truss designs developed by American inventors and engineers in the mid- to late-19th century, this 87-foot lenticular truss bridge represents an unusual truss type in the United States. The lenticular design features a curved top and bottom chord which forms a lens shape. The patent, issued to William O. Douglas of Connecticut in 1878, was the only one given for a lenticular truss bridge in the United States. Most were constructed in the New England area and in New York state. Through the efforts of William Payson, a salesman for Douglas’ Berlin Iron Bridge Company, Texas acquired at least a dozen truss bridges in the late 19th century. The Coryell County Commissioners Court contracted with the Berlin Iron Bridge Company to build four lenticular truss bridges for $16,500 in 1889. This bridge originally was located across Cowhouse Creek and later was moved to Dodd’s Creek. In 1990 the Texas Historical Commission and the Texas Department of Transportation identified eight lenticular truss bridges surviving in Texas. Four of the spans were located in San Antonio; the other four were positioned on out-of-service roadways. The only examples of this rare bridge type west of the Mississippi, they are recognized as historically significant engineering structures. The Society for Industrial Archeology and Historic American Engineering Record, a branch of the National Park Service, also have recognized the importance of the Texas lenticular bridges as products of a short-lived but important period of bridge technology in 19th century engineering history. The Dodd’s Creek bridge was moved to this site in 1997 to improve the flow of traffic, protect pedestrians and enhance the Salado Historic District. (2000)
THIS IS A STOP ON THE SALADO LANDMARKS TOUR – PLEASE RESPECT THE PROPERTY OF ANY PRIVATE BUSINESS OR RESIDENTS AT THIS LANDMARK.
110 N. Main Street, Salado, TX 76571