Davis Mill – Marker (Historic Site #18)
The mill that created the most attention in Salado was the Davis Mill, constructed in 1864 by William A. Davis. It was the first stone mill with carding machine in this vicinity. A sawmill and gin were added in 1866. With its French burrs, Leffel water wheel, and silk bolt from Galveston, the mill produced flour for local homes. Widows did not pay a milling fee. Davis’ deed allowed him to build a dam that would not create an overflow of springs along the creek. So he built a dam that caused the springs to overflow the creek and prevented free use of the springs for drinking water. After many complaints about the height of the dam being 8 to 10 inches over creek level, Mr. Davis refused to lower the dam. He was sued in Bell County Court. After a verdict favoring Mr. Davis was overturned upon appeal to the Texas Supreme Court, another trial ruled in favor of the citizen’s request to lower the dam.
THIS IS A STOP ON THE SALADO LANDMARKS TOUR – PLEASE RESPECT THE PROPERTY OF ANY PRIVATE BUSINESS OR RESIDENTS AT THIS LANDMARK.
Main Street, Salado, TX 76571