Boles – Aikin Cabin (Historic Site #33a)
The Boles-Aiken Log Cabin is two rooms built in the 1850s. It was discovered inside an old home in Salado in March 1986 when it was being torn down. It was dismantled and stored for 4 years until 1990, when the Salado Historical Society re-constructed it on the present site and restored it to its present condition. Much of the original materials of the cabin were saved and used in the reconstructed cabin, the flooring, chimney and fireplace, logs, and rock foundation. An archeological excavation revealed artifacts from the 1840s into the late 1950s. Records show tax was paid on the cabin in 1851 when it was on a stagecoach route that carried mail from Austin to Waco. The house built around the two-room log cabin was occupied until 1984. The cabin is named for its first two owners Benjamin Boles and Hermon Aiken. (SHSL)
THIS IS A STOP ON THE SALADO LANDMARKS TOUR – PLEASE RESPECT THE PROPERTY OF ANY PRIVATE BUSINESS OR RESIDENTS AT THIS LANDMARK.
601 N. Main Street, Salado, TX 76571